Task 3 : Quote by Marc Riemer, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University (2007)

“Communication skills are an essential component in the education of

engineering students to facilitate not just students’ education but also to prepare

them for their future careers.”

Marc Riemer, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University (2007)


The above-stated quote suggests that communication skills are very vital in both students' education life and working life. I do agree with this statement to a high extent due to experiences I have faced during my Polytechnic education and when I was working for a company. The reason I agree with this quote from an engineer's point of view is the fact that engineers have to be really good at communicating as they are responsible most of the time for instructing the construction workers on what the exact plan is for the building. If they were to not deliver their instructions clearly, there may be great consequences that may affect the construction of the building. 

An example of when I learned that communication is key to all jobs was during my internship. I was assigned to go down to some MOE Schools to do technical audits. As I went down there by myself, I had to let the general office staff know which rooms I needed to audit so that they can get the keys. However, being anxious about doing the job by myself, I did not explain to them clearly what type of rooms I was referring to. Due to this, the school staff got impatient and told me why I did not state clearly what I required from them and that I was just wasting their time. Even though I was upset about that, I realized that I had to get myself together and describe the rooms properly to avoid these types of situations in the future. From then on, I wrote down clearly what I needed to help me when I explain to the staff so that I can do the explanation with more confidence and clarity.

Experiences from Polytechnic and internship taught me the importance of communicating well and allowed me to practice and apply them in real life context which I believe is very vital for an engineer.

Comments

  1. I am able to understand the content of the reflection. But sentence structure and language can be improve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Submission 1a: Formal Introductory Letter

Assignment 1C: Critical Reflection

Summary Reader Response Essay - Draft 4