Submission 1a: Formal Introductory Letter

Dear Professor Blackstone,

I am writing this descriptive formal letter to introduce myself to you. A little educational background information about myself will be, before enrolling in SIT civil engineering, I studied at Temasek Polytechnic and took a diploma course on green building and sustainability. I chose to take up green building and sustainability diploma due to my deep interest in saving the environment. Hence, through the diploma course, I hoped to learn how buildings can be built in the most environmentally friendly way with the least amount of pollution. During my course of study, I developed a higher interest in the building construction sector and its engineering aspect. Hence, I decided to pursue SIT civil engineering degree program.

One of my communication strengths would be how I can easily find common topics to discuss with people whom I have newly met. This is due to my large range of interests and hobbies. For example, when I meet someone new, I ask about their hobbies and if we share common hobbies, I continue to ask more about them. However, I get nervous around people I have not met before, even if I can talk to them easily. Hence, I tend to blabber irrelevant things to lengthen the conversation. An example would be me oversharing personal details sometimes if I am unable to find a common topic to discuss. This may lead to awkwardness or may make the other person uncomfortable.

Through this critical thinking module, I hope to increase my confidence when I converse with people. I hope to achieve this by voicing out more during class discussions and practicing my presentation skills through the various assessments in this module. I also hope to learn and practice seeing a different perspective of a situation as sometimes, I focus too much on the small details and fail to see the bigger picture.

I believe that I am different from others due to how easily I can make friends and talk to people. I make myself approachable so that people do not hesitate to come to me regarding anything. Due to this quality, I have managed to maintain peace and not have many disagreements with people I work with at work and school.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I am looking forward to attending your classes this trimester. Thank you.

Best regards,

Lokeswari 


Commented On:

1. Shahrul

2. Jonathan

3. 

Comments

  1. Hi lokes, instead of writing SIT, perhaps you could write Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) the first time and then you can use the abbreviation (SIT) in the remaining sentences. Next, the "educational background" sentence seemed to be too long. Maybe you could cut it down into two shorter sentences or you could just start the point with "Before enrolling.." instead to make the whole sentence shorter. Other than that, I feel that you have covered all the points clearly with examples strongly linked to the main points. Overall, the letter flows concisely and I am able to understand the story that you are sending across. Thanks for sharing! It was a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lokes, thank you for sharing more about yourself! The letter is very consistent and clear. You are indeed a very approachable individual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lokes, thanks for sharing about yourself. The letter is very clear , concise and to me relatable. Hope to get to know you more throughout this trimester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Galven for your comment. I hope to get to know you this trimester too!

      Delete
  4. Hello Lokes! Your letter is well organized and has a good language use. It is clear, concise, and has a good flow. Hence, making it easy to read and understand. We have a similar goal for this module and I believe that with the module's structure, we will be able to achieve it! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shahrul for your comment. I hope to get to know you better too this trimester!

      Delete
  5. Dear Lokes,

    Thank you for this clear, detailed letter and the personal sharing. I appreciate the rich content that is well aligned with the assignment brief, the effective way you have organized your thoughts and the fluent language use.

    You've done a great job providing supporting information for each specific content area, allowing us readers to gain a clear understanding of who you are. I especially like the reference to your interest in the sustainable built environment, which is a noteworthy reason for getting into the CVE field.

    You also do a fine job of discussing how you " find common topics to discuss with people." That is an essential skills that perhaps gets overlooked in discussion of effective comm.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Professor. I look forward to attending your lessons as well.

      Delete
  6. Hi Lokes, well rounded sharing on your past experience, strength and weakness. your introduction letter is clear and concise, providing much information to know you. it is good to have a direction in what you would want to achieve in this module. Hope you will achieve it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 1C: Critical Reflection

Summary Reader Response Essay - Draft 4